Understanding my world

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

WWIII India V Australia

It has begun! And in case you haven’t noticed just get to any news site that carries comments by its readers. Till now I thought this sort of venom was saved of bulletin boards that discussed who would win when the Indian air force took on their Pakistani counterparts, but I was wrong. Seems like the war in cyber space has shifted to the test played at the SCG. I wonder is this level of anger existed even 20 years ago. I’m sure the players got pissed when they were hard done by but it ended there. All you got to do is read the article about the result and hope that the next one went in your favor. Now with the media having a field day (for that lack of a bigger crisis in the world, Iraq is so last season) every self respecting cricket fan (from India and Australia at least) is getting their two cents in the conversation on the internet. From ‘monkeys’ being sacred in India to bastards being pals in Australia, everyone has a point to make.
I think the net is to blame. If I didn’t have the internet I wouldn’t follow the Indian cricket team all the way in Boston. I wouldn’t try and read only the Australian papers to try and get a view from the other side. There by exposing myself to some pretty severe India bashing. I wouldn’t get to see the controversies of over and over again that make me feel hard done by. All I would do is hope that they can put up a better show at Perth.
Since I DO have the internet I have read articles from pundits and players. Read hateful comments from both side directed at each other (to be honest left one as well but I promise I didn’t call any Aussies any names) and now I am updating my blog after 6 months.
So what has this taught me. People are dumb ! and now every dumb person (including me can make themselves heard) and the hatred this brews will cause the END OF THE WORLD or we will wise up and stop acting like irate shit flinging chimpanzees , I used a monkey reference again SORRY!

4 Comments:

  • oooo monkey reference in the end was so clever and witty !

    By Blogger Jugband Blues, at 3:27 PM  

  • oh also, yes this level of bitterness and anger did exist even 20 years back. Just that they burnt more effigies in the past and now little boys all over the world leave comments on web portals which last forever unlike the burnt effigies. Also internet lends anonymity and comfort from own couch while vicariously belonging to a 'revolution'.
    The brave nursed anger in the past. Now everybody does. And that's the only difference.

    Chai ?

    By Blogger Jugband Blues, at 3:34 PM  

  • I liked the part where you admit you are dumb.

    By Blogger Kalkoholism, at 4:26 PM  

  • just noticed 'money' instead of 'monkey' on the last line. does it still make the parting shot funny ?!

    By Blogger Jugband Blues, at 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home